Sunday, December 28, 2008

René Magritte

Magritte was born in Lessines, in the province of Hainaut, in 1898, the eldest son of Léopold Magritte, a tailor, and Adeline, a milliner. He began lessons in drawing in 1910. In 1912, his mother committed suicide by drowning herself in the River Sambre. Magritte was present when her body was retrieved from the water. The image of his mother floating, her dress obscuring her face, may have influenced a 1927-1928 series of paintings of people with cloth obscuring their faces, including Les Amants, but Magritte disliked this explanation. He studied at the Académie Royale des Beaux-Arts in Brussels for two years until 1918. In 1922 he married Georgette Berger, whom he had met in 1913.

Magritte worked as an assistant designer in a wallpaper factory, and was a poster and advertisement designer until 1926 when a contract with Galerie la Centaure in Brussels made it possible for him to paint full-time. In 1926, Magritte produced his first surreal painting, The Lost Jockey (Le jockey perdu), and held his first exhibition in Brussels in 1927. Critics heaped abuse on the exhibition. Depressed by the failure, he moved to Paris where he became friends with André Breton, and became involved in the surrealist group.

When Galerie la Centaure closed and the contract income ended, he returned to Brussels and worked in advertising. Then, with his brother, he formed an agency, which earned him a living wage.

Surrealist patron Edward James allowed Magritte, in the early stages of his career, to stay rent-free in his London home and paint. James features in two of Magritte’s pieces, Le Principe du Plaisir (The Pleasure Principle) and La Reproduction Interdite.

During the German occupation of Belgium in World War II he remained in Brussels, which led to a break with Breton. At the time he renounced the violence and pessimism of his earlier work, though he returned to the themes later.

His work was exhibited in the United States in New York in 1936 and again in that city in two retrospective exhibitions, one at the Museum of Modern Art in 1965, and the other at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in 1992.

Magritte died of pancreatic cancer on August 15, 1967 and was interred in Schaarbeek Cemetery, Brussels.

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Venus de Milo

The Aphrodite of Milos, better known as the Venus de Milo, is an ancient Greek statue and one of the most famous works of ancient Greek sculpture. It is believed to depict Aphrodite (called Venus by the Romans), the Greek goddess of love and beauty. It is a marble sculpture, slightly larger than life size at 203 cm (6.7 ft) high. Its arms and original plinth have been lost. From an inscription that was on its plinth, it is thought to be the work of Alexandros of Antioch; it was earlier mistakenly attributed to the master sculptor Praxiteles. It is at present on display at the Louvre Museum in Paris.
Although the Venus de Milo is widely renowned for the mystery of her missing arms among people unfamiliar with any other incomplete Greek or Roman sculpture,[1] enough evidence remains to prove that the right arm of the goddess was lowered across the torso with the right hand resting on the raised left knee so the sliding drapery wrapped around the hips and legs could be held in place.[citation needed] There is a filled hole below the right breast that originally contained a metal tenon that would have supported the separately carved right arm.

The left arm was held at just below the eye level of the statue above a herm while holding an apple. The right side of the statue is more carefully worked and finished than the left side or back, indicating that the statue was intended to be seen mainly as a profile from its right. The left hand would have held the apple up into the air further back inside the niche the statue was set in. When the left hand was still attached, it would have been clear to an observer that the goddess was looking at the apple she held up in her left hand.

The statue would have been tinted as was the custom of the era, adorned with jewellery and positioned in a niche inside of a gymnasium. The painting of the statue along with the bedecking in jewellery were intended to make it appear more lifelike. Today, all traces of any paint have disappeared and the only signs of the armbands, necklace, earrings and crown are the attachment holes.

The twisting stance and strong projection of the knee, as well as the rich, three-dimensional quality of the drapery, are typical of Hellenistic art of the third century BCE and later. Moreover, the sensuous juxtaposition of flesh with the texture of drapery, which seems about to slip off the figure, adds an insistent note of erotic tension that is thoroughly Hellenistic in concept and intent.

At first glance she seems to represent an old market woman; however, the disarray of her dress and her unfocused stare suggest that she represents an ageing, dissolute follower of Dionysus, god of wine. We may assume that she is on her way to make an offering, since she seems to step out assertively into the space around her. This representation of people from all levels of society, as well as unusual physical types, became popular during the Hellenistic period.
The Venus de Milo was discovered by a peasant named Yorgos Kentrotas in 1820, inside a buried niche within the ancient city ruins of Milos, on the Aegean island of Milos, (also Melos or Milo). The statue was found in two main pieces (the upper torso and the lower draped legs) along with several herms (pillars topped with heads), fragments of the upper left arm and left hand holding an apple, and an inscribed plinth. Olivier Voutier, a French naval officer, was exploring the island. With the help of the young farmer, Voutier began to dig around what were clearly ancient ruins. Within a few hours Voutier had uncovered a piece of art that would become renowned throughout the world. About ten days later, another French naval officer, Jules Dumont d'Urville, recognized its significance and arranged for a purchase by the French ambassador to Turkey, Charles-François de Riffardeau, marquis, later duc de Rivière.

Twelve days out of Touloun the ship was anchored off the island of Melos. Ashore, d'Urville and [fellow officer] Matterer met a Greek peasant, who a few days earlier while ploughing had uncovered blocks of marble and a statue in two pieces, which he offered cheaply to the two young men. It was of a naked woman with an apple in her raised left hand, the right hand holding a draped sash falling from hips to feet, both hands damaged and separated from the body. Even with a broken nose, the face was beautiful. D'Urville the classicist recognized the Venus of the Judgement of Paris. It was, of course, the Venus de Milo. He was eager to acquire it, but his practical captain, apparently uninterested in antiquities, said there was nowhere to store it on the ship, so the transaction lapsed. The tenacious d'Urville on arrival at Constantinople showed the sketches he had made to the French ambassador, the Marquis de Riviére, who sent his secretary in a French Navy vessel to buy it for France. Before he could take delivery, French sailors had to fight Greek brigands for possession. In the mêlée the statue was roughly dragged across rocks to the ship, breaking off both arms, and the sailors refused to go back to search for them.[2]

News of the discovery took longer than normal to get to the French ambassador. The peasant grew tired of waiting for payment and was pressured into selling to a local priest, who planned to present the statue as a gift to a translator working for the Sultan in Constantinople (present day Istanbul, Turkey).

The French ambassador's representative arrived just as the statue was being loaded aboard a ship bound for Constantinople and persuaded the island's chief citizens to annul the sale and honor the first offer.

Upon learning of the reversal of the sale, the translator had the chiefs whipped and fined but was eventually reprimanded by the Sultan after the French ambassador complained to him about the mistreatment of the island citizenry. The citizens were reimbursed and ceded all future claims to the statue in gratitude.

front view three-quarter view back view

Upon arrival at the Louvre, the statue was reassembled, but the fragments of the left hand and arm were initially dismissed as being a later restoration because of the rougher workmanship.[citation needed] It is now accepted that the left hand holding the apple and the left arm are in fact original to the statue but were not as well finished as the rest of the statue since they would have been somewhat above eye level and difficult to see.[citation needed] This was a standard practice for many sculptors of the era—less visible parts of statues were often not as well finished since they would typically be invisible to the casual observer.[citation needed] Sculptures and statues from this era were normally carved out of several blocks of stone and carefully pieced together.[citation needed] The Venus de Milo turns out to have been carved from at least six to seven blocks of Parian marble: one block for the nude torso, another block for the draped legs, another block apiece for each arm, another small block for the left foot, another block for the inscribed plinth and finally the separately carved herm that stood beside the goddess.

The controversial plinth was initially found to fit perfectly as part of the statue, but after it was translated and dated, the embarrassed experts who had publicized the statue as a possible original work by the artist Praxiteles dismissed it as another later addition to the statue. The inscription read: "...(Alex)andros son of Menides, citizen of Antioch on the Maeander made this (statue)...". The inscribed plinth would have moved the dating of the statue from the Classical period to the Hellenistic period because of the style of lettering and the mention of the ancient city of Antioch on the Maeander, which did not exist at the time Praxiteles lived.[citation needed] The Hellenistic Age was at that time considered a period of decline for Greek art. The plinth mysteriously disappeared shortly before the statue was presented to King Louis XVIII in 1821 and only survives in two drawings and an early description. The king eventually presented the statue to the Louvre museum in Paris, where it still stands on public display.

The Venus de Milo's great fame in the 19th century was not simply the result of its admitted beauty, but also owed much to a major propaganda effort by the French authorities. In 1815 France had returned the Medici Venus to the Italians after it had been looted from Italy by Napoleon Bonaparte. The Medici Venus, regarded as one of the finest Classical sculptures in existence, caused the French to consciously promote the Venus de Milo as a greater treasure than that which they had recently lost. It was duly praised by artists and critics as the epitome of graceful female beauty; however, Pierre-Auguste Renoir was clearly not following the script when he dismissed it as a "big gendarme".

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Donald Finkel, celebrated St. Louis poet

Donald Finkel, celebrated St. Louis poet
By Michael D. Sorkin

Donald Finkel, a celebrated poet at Washington University whose topics included his relationship with his cats and dogs, River Des Peres and his trip to the South Pole, died Saturday (Nov. 15, 2008) from complications of Alzheimer's disease at Schuetz Manor assisted-living home in Creve Coeur.

He was 79 and a longtime resident of University City before moving to Lafayette Square.

Mr. Finkel was poet-in-residence at Washington U., where he taught from 1960 until 1991. He wrote 14 books of poetry, with long narrative and frequently humorous free verse. Admirers described it as a new form, a fusion of text and poetry.

His writing won prestigious awards. But his friends remember him best for his generous help to students, his enduring love for his late wife and writing partner, Constance Urdang, and his zeal for exploring everything around him.

"He was a bearded, skeleton-belt-buckled force of nature," said David Clewell, a poet and professor at Webster University. He came to St. Louis to study under Mr. Finkel and stayed to become his longtime friend.

"He dug into life as long as he could, with a zest that really was unparalleled," Clewell said.

The Finkel family lived for years on Columbia Place in University City, a block from River Des Peres. While most residents paid little attention to what is normally little more than a drainage ditch, Mr. Finkel was fascinated.

He wanted to know where the river came from, where it went and its history. He and his dog walked its entire length. He wrote a poem, a slim volume that he called "Beyond Despair," a play on the river's name.

In 1968, Mr. Finkel signed on with a scientific expedition to Antarctica sponsored by the National Science Foundation. It was a government program to send artists to Antarctica, and Mr. Finkel knew the man in charge.

"He loved the idea that he would be the first poet to go there," said Howard Schwartz, a former student and now professor of English at the University of Missouri-St. Louis.

A group of Russians was there at the same time, and Mr. Finkel became friends with them. They traded shots of vodka, and Mr. Finkel traded parkas with one of them. Mr. Finkel wore it back to the United States, not knowing that his new coat said "AWOL" — absent without leave — in Russian.

"My dad had that parka for years," recalled a daughter, Amy Finkel of St. Louis.

Mr. Finkel wrote a book-length poem about his experience, "Adequate Earth." It was later set to music and performed at Powell Symphony Hall.

Mr. Finkel was born in New York, a few blocks from Yankee Stadium, in 1929, the year of the Wall Street crash.

He completed high school at a boarding school in Connecticut, from which he once ran away with a classmate, Elliott Adnopoz, later famous as the folk singer Ramblin' Jack Elliott.

He taught at the University of Iowa Writers' Workshop, where he met his future wife. They married in 1956, embarking on a yearlong Mexican honeymoon and finally moving to St. Louis.

In 1977, Washington University started a graduate writing program with Ms. Urdang as the coordinator, novelist Stanley Elkin teaching fiction and Mr. Finkel running the poetry workshop.

His work examined the relationships between humans and animals ("What Manner of Beast") and between contemporary life and mythology ("Simeon"), the urge to explore ("Adequate Earth") and, especially, the anxieties and joys of ordinary life.

He was fascinated with the Chinese poets who wrote about democracy during the Cultural Revolution and got in trouble with the Communist government. Mr. Finkel and poet Carolyn Kizer translated a collection of the poetry, "A Splintered Mirror."

Mr. Finkel was nominated for the National Book Award and the National Book Critics Circle Award.

His wife died of lung cancer in 1996. The two had been a team, editing and reading each other's work. "She held him together," said their son, Tom Finkel, editor of the Riverfront Times and a resident of Webster Groves.

When he grew unable to write, Mr. Finkel returned to an earlier passion: sculpting. He constructed hundreds of works from plastic bottles, odds and ends, anything he could find around his apartment.

"His creative impulse never died," Schwartz said.

Washington University plans a memorial service at a time and date to be set. For information, call the English department at 314-935-5190.

In addition to Tom and Amy Finkel, among the survivors are another daughter, Liza Finkel of Portland, Ore.; a half brother, David Finkel of New York; and two grandchildren.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

This is incredible! Gotta see it to believe it.

Needle Sized Art
Very incredible story! Not only is this mans art cool but he got a ton of cash for it!

Click on what appears to be a photo!

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

'The Librarian' from 1562

A copy of a print of the painting The Librarian (Wolfgang Lazius), by Giuseppe Arcimboldo (ca. 1527-1593).